Thursday, June 21, 2012

Heaven is for Real

Okay, I feel like it's been years since I posted!  Oh well.  Anyway, I have recently read a real life story about a four-year-old boy named Colton Burpo who went to heaven and came back, all during his surgery at the hospital.  Then Colton legitimized his experience by describing people he had never even met and by portraying heaven with biblical accuracy.  His father Todd Burpo recounted Colton's near death experience and how his son's trip to heaven changed his family's perspective about life and God.  Here's a quote from the book:

"'Do you remember the hospital, Colton?' Sonja said.
'Yes, Mommy, I remember,' he said.  'That's where the angels sang to me.'"
Now, what really stood out to me in this book was the account of Colton meeting his unborn sister in heaven.  I mean, I never thought too much about meeting a person who was never born. It's kind of awesome, and I can't imagine how much joy it will bring to the mothers who have lost their children.  Another thing that intrigued me was that the book showed that even a pastor or a respected teacher can lose it sometimes (*cough cough, Dad! ;) *).  Colton's father was shocked to realize that his son had seen his temper tantrum with God from heaven, since he had thought he was alone.  It was a reminder to me that no one is perfect and we ultimately can only depend on God's grace to make up for our inconsistencies.

It's a relatively short book, but it's filled with heartfelt family moments, glimpses of the hope of heaven, and adorable quirks of an innocent child.  Heaven is for Real will strengthen your hope of the eternity we have through Jesus Christ and will be a joy for your library and your family for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment