Friday, March 21, 2014

Single Moms' Club

Y'know, I've never not liked a movie I reviewed on this blog.  That is, sadly, going to change today.  The fact that right now I have trouble remembering anything I did like in the movie does not bode well for my review.  Give me a minute to think…  Oh, I liked the character Lytia, played by Cocoa Brown.  She is very strong-willed and sassy, and won't let herself be easily pushed around; I found her entertaining, but not enough to rescue my opinion of the movie in its entirety.  I think I laughed once (maybe twice?) watching the group of single moms forming a support group, falling in love, bettering their relationships with their kids, etc. etc.  All this sounds wonderfully heartwarming (I did tear up seeing one of the poor kids cry about his drug-addict dad), but in the end it didn't have as much lasting emotional and mental impact as Saving Mr. Banks.  Because there were so many characters, the relationships and character development felt extremely shallow.  Sure, there is a happily-ever-after at the end, where everything is hunky-dory with the kids and all of the moms are dating hot guys (that eye candy was a benefit to seeing this movie); however, the movie as a whole is simply not memorable.  I'm not going to wake up tomorrow thinking about this movie, and in fact, I'm not sure I'll ever think about it again as soon as I post this.

At the end of the day, I wish that I had tried harder to convince my mom to watch Divergent instead.  That would've at least meant seeing Theo James shirtless.


1 comment:

  1. Great post!
    Yeah, Sophia's really excited about Divergent.

    ReplyDelete